The life of Kenny Rogers was celebrated during CMT Giants: Kenny Rogers, hosted by Rita Wilson. Entertainers from pop, rock and country appeared from their homes for both acoustic and full band performances of some of Kenny’s biggest hits.
Blake Shelton was one of the many country artists to honor Kenny saying, “The guy had crossover hits but he was always one of ours. He was a country artist… he was just one of the most famous people on the planet.”
He was recognized as “a man who always went out of his way to help people — people who needed it,” by Rita.
The special was also a fundraiser for MusiCares.org/KennyCares. The money raised is earmarked for COVID-19 relief, which benefits members of the music community who have lost their income due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Lady Antebellum – “Islands in the Stream” (Lady A’s band contributed to this performance, each member from their own home)
- Gavin DeGraw – “We’ve Got Tonight.”
- Jennifer Nettles – “Don’t Fall in Love With a Dreamer”
- Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires – “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town”
- Dolly Parton – “Sweet Music Man”
- Michael McDonald – “Just Dropped In (To See Condition My Condition Was In)”
- Randy Houser – “The Gambler”
- Vince Gill – “The Rock Of Your Love”
- Rascal Flatts – “Through the Years”
- Kenny Rogers – “Goodbye”
The end of the show was tagged with a memorial to John Prine, who passed away on Tuesday from complications of COVID-19.