Summer is here and that means it’s mosquito season!
Are you one of the lucky ones that don’t seem to attract them? If so, you are free to go outside and soak in the sun and the knowledge that you are one of the chosen few.
Now for the rest of us, it turns out there are six reasons mosquitoes won’t leave us alone. Here they are:
1. Your body temperature is slightly higher than other people’s. It varies because of age, gender, and how much you move around. It can even go up if you eat spicy food.
2. Exercise. It raises your body temperature and makes you produce more carbon dioxide and lactic acid, which mosquitos love. They also like pregnant women, because their temperature is higher, and they produce more CO2.
3. You’re stressed out. Studies have shown mosquitos could be drawn to the hormones that come out in your sweat when you’re stressed.
4. You haven’t showered in a while. They’re attracted to a specific type of bacteria. And we tend to have more bacteria near our ankles and feet. So that might be why they target that area a lot.
5. Dark clothing. Reds, blacks, and blues attract more mosquitoes than lighter colors like white and yellow.
6. Alcohol. It dilates the blood vessels in your skin, making it a little warmer for a while. And they’re also attracted to the ethanol that comes out in your sweat.
So to avoid mosquitoes this summer: stay cool, stay calm, shower, wear light colors and avoid alcohol…never mind you lost me there. Margaritas and mosquitoes win.